Beginner. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
2 hours + drying time for paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Draw an outline for the map onto A2 card in pencil. You could do this freehand, or print out a map image then draw a grid over the top to use as guide to scale it up.
Or, print out an A4 image, divide the paper into 4 equal sections then enlarge and copy each section to A4 size. Stick the 4 pieces together, cut around the outline then draw around the shape onto A2 card.
- Draw over the outline to make a strong clear pencil line. Pour some yellow, green and light brown paint into a mixing tray. Dip a sponge into the paint then start dabbing it over the map shape. You should still be able to see the pencil outline through the paint.
Lightly dab green paint around the top area of Egypt. Dab darker brown towards the middle of the map. Use a separate piece of sponge for each colour. Leave to dry.
- To make the background, use a large brush or a sponge to wash blue paint across a piece of A2 card. Use light and dark blues to give the sea more depth. Leave to dry.
- Carefully cut out the land area then glue it onto the blue background. Press the edges down.
- Select wooden letters in different sizes for the words on your map.
Make labels for the map with small wooden letters stuck onto coloured card strips. Apply glue to small letters with a cocktail stick.