Time to Make
2 – 3 hours
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Draw an outline of South America onto A2 card in pencil, about 40cm in height. You could do this freehand, or print out an A4 South America image then draw a grid over the top to use as guide to scale it up.
Or, print out an A4 image of South America, divide the paper into 4 equal sections then enlarge and copy each section to A4 size. Stick the 4 pieces together, cut around the outline then draw around the shape onto A2 card.
- Pour some yellow, green and light brown paint into a mixing tray. Dip a sponge into the paint then start dabbing it over the map shape. You should still be able to see the pencil outline through the paint.
Dab darker green paint over the middle area and lighter colours near the bottom. Use a separate piece of sponge for each colour. Leave to dry.
- To make a background, use a large brush or a sponge to wash blue paint across a piece of A2 card. Use light and dark blues to give the colour more depth. Leave to dry.
- Select wooden letters to spell ‘PERU’, ‘SOUTH AMERICA’, or any other words you choose to add to your map.
To paint the letters, stick a strip of double-sided tape onto card, peel off the backing then lightly stick the edge of the letters on top to keep them still. Paint the letters, dry then carefully lift them off the tape.
- Cut out the painted South America shape. Glue the map in the middle of the background. If the edges start to curl, stick the background onto another sheet of A2 card with long strips of double-sided tape.
- Draw an outline of the shape of Peru on white card then paint it gold or colour it in with a gold deco pen or use another bright colour. Outline the shape in black pen so it stands out clearly. Look at a map to help draw the shape and position of Peru.
Cut it out then glue onto the map.
- Glue the painted wooden ‘PERU’ letters onto a card panel, draw a border around the edge then stick the panel onto the map. Glue a cut out an arrow onto the map to mark Peru.
Glue the ‘SOUTH AMERICA’ letters onto the map.
- Draw small triangles onto white card for mountains, add some colour and black outlines then cut them out, stick the mountains down the left had side of the map for the Andes. Add rainforest and sea life foam stickers onto the map as decoration.Add your own details and labels to the map to mark different features like the rivers, oceans or other countries.
Look at a map of South America as a guide for painting the areas with mountains, jungles and desert areas.