Beginner. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
2 hours + drying time for glue + paint
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Cover a card wreath with 12cm masking tape strips. Stick one piece at a time onto the front then over the edge. It takes about 30 pieces of tape to completely cover a wreath. The tape makes it easier to paint over the top and neatens the edges on the card.
- Paint the wreath. Blue is the colour traditionally used at Hanukkah. Leave to dry.
- To make a 6-pointed star to fit the full size of the wreath, draw 2 x separate triangles on the reverse side of glitter card. Make all 3 sides on the triangles 18cm in length, so they are equal. Draw a 1cm border around the edge of both triangles then cut them out to make 2 frames. Making a cut across the edge is easier than trying to cut out a window from the middle and won’t show once it’s been glued down. Glue one of the triangle frames onto the wreath. Glue the second triangle on top to make a 6-pointed star.
- Use the same method to make smaller-sized 6-pointed stars. The triangles can be any size. Always make sure all 3 sides on the triangles are the same length.
A star with 12cm sides fits over the hole in the middle of the wreath.For smaller decorations make the sides 10cm-8cm in length.
- To make a banner, select wooden letters for a greeting. Paint the letters gold, silver or use another metallic colour. To make painting easier, stick a strip of double-sided tape onto some scrap paper then press the letters on top. Stick the shapes lightly at the edges. Brush paint over the letters and around the edges. Leave to dry.
- Draw 2 curved lines on the reverse side of A4 glitter card. Draw the lines 5cms apart. Use the full 30cm card length to fit the ‘HANUKKAH’ lettering. Cut the ends on the banner into a ‘V’ shapes. To make a border, glue the banner onto a contrasting glitter card colour then cut around the edge, leaving 5mm-10mm around the edge. Cut out another smaller banner in the same way for the ‘HAPPY’ lettering. Glue the painted letters onto the banners. Glue the banners onto the wreath.
- Glue or tape a loop of ribbon onto the back of the wreath.
Glue off-cuts and small glitter card pieces as extra decoration on the wreath. Small stars are easy to make from 2 triangles stuck together.