Beginner. Adult supervision needed
Time to Make
Adult Supervision Needed
How to Make
- Print out the pineapple template onto a sheet of pink pastel paper.
- Take a polystyrene sheet and place a piece of double sided tape onto each edge of the sheet. Peel off the backing and place another polystyrene sheet on top to stick them together.
- Repeat step 2 so that you now have three polystyrene sheets stuck together. Then use the same technique to stick the pineapple template on top.
- Press the pins into the polystyrene at even points around the pineapple, making sure there is a pin in every corner, or any point where two lines meet. The pins should be pushed about two thirds of the way in, so there is enough room left to wrap the string around it. Be careful when using the pins – ask an adult for some help if you need to.
- Take some yellow embroidery thread and tie a knot around one of the pins in the bottom section of the design. Make sure you leave about 2-3 inches of wool at the end, as you will need this later.
- Wrap the wool around each pin in this section, making sure it crosses over the ice cream in different directions. You can cross the string in a criss-cross pattern, or a random pattern. Try to make sure each pin has been used at least once.
- Wrap the wool around the outside of the pineapple section, then take it back to the pin you started with and tie a knot with the end of the wool that you left.
- Repeat steps 5-7 using green wool in the leaf section.
- Trim the ends of the wool to finish.
Try not to pull the string too tight, as you might pull the pins out of the backing.